Pages

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Dinged the universe, he did


Mr. Steve Jobs, the former CEO of Apple, passed away last week. He was 56.

To call Jobs fascinating is probably an understatement. Many things about him, from his usual sweater-jeans-sneakers ensemble to the way he runs his company, defy common wisdom. One of the last innovation he help developed, the iPad, was ridiculed by many observers when it was first introduced. Many year before other companies have tried to make the tablet PC market work. And failed.

By March 2011, 11 million units of iPad have been sold and now the industry is running to catch up with Apple in a market that was once considered unlucrative.

I'm not a fan of his management style and his perfectionist approach. His style clearly works but I don't see it as a management or leadership model that other people can easily emulate. Or should emulate.

I can't elaborate much on this because most of these are from unverifiable sources. Furthermore, the man has passed on. It's only proper to be respectful.

What I can say is Jobs isn't too big headed to even kill off his own ideas when they turn out to be a bad one. Case in point: the Power Mac C4 Cube.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks we'll never find another CEO like him. But then, maybe we don't need to.

Here is his former business partner, hacker, and Apple co-founder, Steve Wozniak, (the other Steve) paying tribute to Jobs. I can only hope that my friends would say nice things about me after I'm gone, as did Wozniak. And to leave the universe dinged, for the better, as did Jobs.

2 comments:

nahmy said...

assalamualaikum, dinged or no dinged..I believe he has magnificently did his job. concerning to IT technology, let he be example to future generations. life goes on...

r.o.l. said...

Waalaikumusalam, nahmy. I agree, he did magnificient work. Changed the course of the IT world in unimagined ways. Jobs left us a lot of valuable lessons. On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to judge other CEOs and other people by Jobs' standards. I believe brilliance has many shape and form. I also believe someone else can outdo Jobs. Still there's always going to be one Steve Jobs. Allahua'alam. As you said, life goes on...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Copyright 2009 introspector. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan